Monday, June 27, 2011

How Am I doing? 6 Weeks Postpartum

It's so true what they say, that while you are pregnant all the attention is on you; but as soon as you have the baby its like you don't exist! Ha! Well I thought I would take a minute to update everyone on how I am doing after having a baby. I'm actually writing this about 7 weeks postpartum but forgive me again for being so behind.

Giving birth was probably the most amazing experience I've ever had. It was so incredibly physical, emotional and spiritual all at the same time there's no way to really describe it. And the best part is afterwards you have a precious, beautiful baby! So even though my delivery was difficult, looking back I actually loved the miracle of giving birth to my son and I'm so glad that Steve and I got to share that.


The recovery, however, is another story. Nobody really talks about how difficult the recovery after giving birth is. I didn't even really give it a thought before I had the baby. Well it sucks, big time. I felt really awful right after labor and for about the first two weeks I was home. It was just major pain all the time, not being able to do anything and being really tired. All this on top of trying to figure out this new mom thing! It was exhausting! But luckily I have a great support system and both our families were amazing and helped me through that time.

On top of all that Steve had to go back to work right away. We brought Baby Steven home on Friday and Steve went back on Monday. It was really hard not having him home. My amazing family came over and helped but its not the same as having the daddy of your baby there. It was really hard for me missing him during the days. Then, a few weeks later, Steve went back to school 2 nights a week. That has been extremely hard having him gone all day and night those two days. Its a huge adjustment and I'd be lying if I said I'm fine with it but I'm coping.

About a month after giving birht I noticed the pain started subsiding and I really started to feel more like myself. I got my appetite back and could go up and down the stairs in our home and didn't have nearly as much pain. Finally after 6 weeks, I feel normal again and can do anything I want to. So that is really a relief to have my strength back (even back to before being prego) and having all the pain of labor go away. I went to my 6 week postpartum OB visit and everything is great! So yay!

As far as how our lives have changed after the baby, its completely different. Baby Steven is the center of our world and I mean that in every way. Its incredible how life changing having a baby is; and its 24 -7. There's no break (unless a wonderful mother or other person comes to give you a break). That little man runs the show. There are so many wonderful and fun moments with him but there are also a lot of tired, frustrated, upset moments too. Like I said, I'm coping. :) But really its totally worth it. He is an amazing blessing. I mean just look at him.

As far as our marriage, its pretty much totally different too. I think our relationship changed drastically after I gave birth. It was like we grew so much closer just overnight in that amazing experience. We were very, very happy together in the hospital and in the first weeks Baby Steven was home. But after that, reality set in and we had to start to figure out our new roles and responsibilities. It has been difficult and frustrating at times but we are both trying to make it work out the best for everyone. We are a family of 3 now and its a challenge some days and an amazing joy other days. But, like I said before, its totally and completely worth it. :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment