Monday, November 18, 2013

Maternity Leave So Far

I'm about halfway through my maternity leave with Logan (sniffle) so I thought I'd recap what I've been up to so far. Maternity leave this time feels really different for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because I had a much easier recovery from this birth or because I've done this before but its much more laid back this time. I'm finding myself consciously trying to savor little moments with my new man because I know just how fast it all goes by.
 
Another thing that's different this time is that I know I'm going back to work at the end of this. It doesn't seem as daunting as it was last time for some reason. I'm still sad and I still wish I had another 3 months or so off with Logan but I'm not dreading it everyday like I was with Steven. It could also be that I'm too busy this time around too.
 
Anyway, what have we been up to? Lots and lots of family time! It's been so nice to have a lot of time with family. One of the first weeks after he was born, Matt (Steve's brother) and Ruty came in town with Micah (who was only just born on July 4th). So that was a nice surprise! It was too fun to have 2 little babies like that in one place. I'm really excited for them to grow up as cousins being so close in age. That will be really fun!
 
2 Cuties!


Besides that family visit we have seen a ton of both of our families in the past few weeks. We have gone to birthday dinners at the Riegerixes for Steve's dad and mom as well as an anniversary dinner. We also had a brunch at our house when Dan, Meghan and Willow came in town to meet Logan. Whew, that's a lot! We've gotten to spend a ton of time with my family as well and that's always fun. My aunt Jan came in town once and we got to visit. So it's been great seeing so much of our families. Logan's a lucky dude.
 
 
There's been somewhat of a baby boom in our family lately. My cousin, Kris had a baby girl, Emelia Grace, about 2 weeks before me. Kris and I are only about a year apart in age so this is really fun that we have babies so close in age too! My mom and I took a trip up to Rochester, IL to Kris's house to meet Miss Emelia. She's such a cutie. It will be really fun to watch her and Logan grow up as well.

Another thing we've been doing a lot of is hanging around the house! It's so nice to be able to cuddle my baby all day. He's been doing a lot of this (napping) but unfotunately not mommy so much. Everytime I try to take a nap with him he won't stay asleep. But it seems that he will sleep for everyone else! Go figure!
Little Angel :)
But while we've been hanging around the house I've been catching up on all the TV I've wanted to watch for like the past 2 years! Ha ha! We don't have cable and haven't really watched much TV in the past few years (been kinda busy ;). So it's been fun catching up on shows I wanted to watch. Here are a few that I've watched and enjoyed so far: Homeland, Scandal, The Big C, Parenthood, Parks and Recreation, Walking Dead (with Steve),  Orange is the New Black. Ones that I plan to get into still during my maternity leave are: Girls (heard it was good, we'll see), Downton Abbey,  and House of Cards. Probably my favorite of those has been Homeland. That show had me on the edge of my seat the entire time! Every episode was crazy. I also really enjoyed and am enjoying Scandal (thanks for the recommendation, Mom).
 
Steve and I have been doing some fun family stuff on weekends while I'm on leave as well. We went to the zoo with Steven and Logan on a nice day earlier in October. Funny story about this trip to the zoo. This was the first time we busted out the Moby for Logan. We had used it a TON with Steven and thought we were old pros. Nope! We seriously spent 10 minutes in the zoo parking lot googling how to wrap him in it! Ha ha! But once we remembered it was like riding a bike ;)
 
Seriously he loves birds, this was the best pic I could get!
Sea Lion Exhibit = Way cool!


Since it's getting to be the holiday season, Logan and I have spent a good amount of time running errands, doing some Christmas shopping, etc. He didn't make a peep running errands for the first few weeks. Now it's hit or miss. We went to the outlet malls with my mom for like 3 hours and he was great the whole time. Only cried at the very end when he was hungry. But lately when I take him anywhere he cries immediately. Those babies! Hard to get anything done but I still try. :)
 
This kid!
We spent one afternoon visiting daddy at his work. I had not been there yet to meet anyone and they were so kind to give us a few little gifts for Logan and Steven so we wanted to meet everyone. Steve's co-workers were super nice and even a few bravely held Logan. Some of the younger guys looked like we had 3 heads and were like "heck no!" when we asked if they wanted to hold him. Ha ha! But some of the older people with kids really enjoyed it. I got to meet Steve's boss too and she seemed very nice. It was a good visit!
Daddy's cube.
Logan and I also visited my work and met some of my co-workers. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that visit but we had a good time. We went to lunch with my friend Jenn too so that was very fun! (Logan loves to go out to lunch ;)
 
Steve, the boys and I spent a fun day at the Magic House as well. Steven loves that place I think. There's always something new to discover. He loves playing with all the kids there too. This trip he wanted to do the big slide, something he has always been to scared to do! That was very neat. I tried to get a picture of him going down it but this was the best I could do. I'm so proud of my brave boy!
The Blur!

So we've been having a lot of fun so far! Lots of stuff to keep us busy. But mostly just chillin with this dude. Can you blame me? 

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are really enjoying your maternity leave!

    ReplyDelete