Thursday, May 3, 2012

One Year Already?!

Its so hard to believe that just one year ago today I was very pregnant and very much in labor at St. Luke's hospital. I as admitted in the afternoon on May 3rd and settled in for a long night of sleeping and laboring comfortably. But baby boy had different ideas and at 12:46 am on Wednesday, May 4th Steven Joseph Riegerix III was born.

Its so incredible to think that only a year has passed since that day. But here we are on the evening of May 3rd one year later. I can't help but remember all the emotions I was feeling just 365 days ago. Although I was aware my life was about to change I really didn't have any concept of how it would change or how completely life altering the experience of becoming a mother would be. I've heard over and over that motherhood is like letting a piece of your heart walk around outside your body and for me that is so incredibly accurate. Its crazy when you think about it, but nothing can prepare you for motherhood and nothing can compare to it either.

So on this eve of the anniversary of your birth, here is a short letter to you, my son.

Steven (my boo),

Can't believe its already been a year! You have grown so much in the past year its incredible. We went to the grocery store tonight and you got out and walked next to me. You even pushed the cart! Not even a year ago you were a teeny, tiny baby and now you're so big! When your father and I count are blessings everyday we count you about 10 times. We are so lucky to have you in our lives. You are truly a joy to us everyday and it has been our complete pleasure watching you grow up the past year.

I'm so lucky to get to be your mommy and watch you grow. I hope you continue to grow (even though I wish you'd slow down a little) and learn and explore. I hope for your future that you continue to be a loving, playful, curious and happy boy! I know eventually you probably won't want mommy around but for now you give great hugs, kisses and giggles all the time. I cherish those moments and try my very hardest to remember them for the future.

Having you in my life has been the most amazing experience. I love you more than I could ever express. Although you've only been here a year, baby boy, I can't imagine a single minute without you in it. I love you with all my heart. Happy Birthday.

-Mom


1 comment:

  1. Hasn't it been 366 days with leap year? ;-)

    Happy birthday Steven!!

    ReplyDelete