Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Weekend in Review

We had a really fun weekend this week. On Friday, we had some friends over, Carrie, Kevin and Jeff. I love having them over. Its so nice to have friends that don't mind just coming over and hanging out. They liked playing with Steven and that's fun too. The forecast was calling for warm and sunny earlier in the week but it ended up being rainy and dreary that day. We had planned to BBQ and went ahead with the plan and it turned out well. We decided to BBQ pizzas on the grill for a change from the normal BBQ routine. If you haven't tried it, its a fun thing to do in the summer. I buy premade pizza crusts and just brush olive oil on one side, grill it for a few mins, then put the toppings on that side and grill with the other side down for a few mins. I do like to precook the toppings such as the sausage or peppers because they won't be on the grill directly. I didn't take a picture but our pizzas looked something like this:
Yum!
I also attempted my first ever fruit pie for dinner. I ordered a basket from the Co-op and it contained strawberries and rhubarb. So I thought why not make a strawberry rhubarb pie! I was nervous but my good friend, Jenn, had just made a rhubarb pie that turned out great so I thought maybe I could do it too! It turned out really great! And the recipe was super easy. Here's the one I used:
Ingredients: 2 cups chopped rhubarb, 2 cups sliced strawberries, a generous cup of sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1T zest of orange,
Directions: Mix together, place in crust, top with 2T butter cut into small pieces, put on top crust, slit for venting, bake 425 for 40-45 minutes (until fruit is bubbling through the vents and crust is lightly browned) with the rim crust covered for all but the last 10 minutes.  Here's a before pic:

Ready to go into the oven!
Easy peasy! I also used an egg wash, thanks to a tip from Jenn. Here's the finished product.

Gotta have ice cream too!

So first attempt at fruit pie was a success!

Carrie and Kevin brought over this really fun game Cards Against Humanity. We played it for hours. Very fun! Its sort of like raunchy Aples to Apples. It was pretty hilarious. Of course now Steve HAS to have it. :)

So it was really fun and yummy night overall. I love hanging out with them!

Saturday we went to a birthday party for Steven's friend, Nathan. Nathan's parents, Matt and Sharon have been Steve's friends for a long time and I really like them too! Nathan's birthday is almost exactly the same as Steven's just a year ahead of him. It was really fun, there was a ton of good food, ton of kids, they have every toy you can imagine! And...then Steven threw up, twice. So we went home early. But not before Steven was SO adorable with this tiny baby that was there. I was holding her and he just wanted so badly to hold her too. I let him sit next to me on the couch and he just wanted to stroke her face and belly, hold her little hand. It was truly adorable. I wish I would have taken a picture. (Gives me hope for this big brother thing.)

Steven took a 4 hour nap that afternoon then got up, ate some, watched a movie until about 7:30pm and said "so tired, mommy". So I put him to bed. Poor kiddo. Must have caught a 24 hour bug because he was better by morning.

Sunday we had Steven's 2 year pictures with the amazing Kelly Reinholz. She is such a great photographer and always is so personable with Steven. She makes him laugh so much and us too! We decided to take the pictures at the Museum of Transportation because Steven is really into trains, trucks, planes, etc. right now. It was a bit more chilly than we expected but I think it turned out great considering we had a sick kid the day before. Steven had a great time running around and cheesing it up for Kelly.  I can't wait to see all the pics! She put up a sneak peak already. And they look great!

So big!
 After that we all took a big nap. It was a great weekend! Hope you guys had a good one too!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out :) - glad the pie turned out good - it looks very pretty.

    Happy the pictures turned out good too - sounds like a busy, fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete