Friday, November 4, 2011

Book Review: Mockingjay

This week I finished the 3rd and final book in the Hunger Games series, Mockingjay.


Its hard to write a review of this book because I don't want to give too much away! This whole series of books has a pretty dark premise. It discusses some of the more evil sides of human nature. But the other two books, also gave you a more hopeful feeling because they were told from the side of "good". The people who were fighting against the oppressive powers and were working towards a better future. The same group is followed in this book and they are still fighting against the oppressive power but its much less hopeful. They are forced to deal head on with the worst that the powers can throw at them and forced to see how far they are willing to go for the greater cause.

Some parts of the book were actually really hard to read for me because they were pretty graphic. I get really into books and movies and just picturing the things happening that I was reading was pretty hard at times. Another thing that I didn't like about this book was that there were a TON of characters. The first book had 3 main characters with a few supporting ones and a ton of fringe characters. I didn't keep too close of track of the fringe characters that didn't play a major part in the first two books. Well in this book, there were a lot of new characters and also characters from the other books (that I didn't pay much attention to) that were really important. I actually had to google who a couple people were to remember and make sense of the plot. It was just a lot of people to keep track of. And sense the book is set in the future, they had weird names that weren't easy for me to remember.

The other thing about this book was that it was just overall sad. It was kind of depressing for me. The hopeful, cheer for the hero theme of the other two books was there but it was much smaller in this book. It was more focused on how the bad times affected the heroes and (it really seemed to me) how much horrible things happening can they withstand.

I really enjoyed the first two books of the Hunger games series and ended up feeling kind of let down by this book. It was just way more dark than I expected it to be but I guess it had to be that way. But I'm glad I finished the series and I can't wait for the movie(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment